How to Get Rid of Cradle Cap on Newborn?
Yellowish scaly patches appear on newborn babies due to excess production of sebum or due to fungus during the first few months is really normal and known as cradle cap.
These patches are not itchy, not painful and do not tend to disturb your baby but ugly. Being a mother, you are not comfortable with your baby’s scalp look and want treatment.
Luckily, the Cradle cap disappears by itself within a short period of time but in case it does not disappear after 6 months then it’s a sign that your baby needs medical attention.
I have seen many cases where cradle cap does not disappear and medication becomes necessary. It’s due to the hyperactivity of sebaceous glands. Don’t worry, it does not cause any harm to your baby.
You can get rid of Cradle Cap in the newborn by using ketoconazole shampoo, steroids, anti-fungal creams, and antibiotics to prevent skin infection.
How to Get Rid of Cradle Cap on Newborn?
Cradle cap can be either due to fungal, bacterial or simple overproduction of sebum. A proper diagnosis will decide the medication. Mild ointments and lotions should be used for newborn babies.
The dose will be decided according to the severity of the condition and the age of the child.
Ketoconazole Shampoo for Cradle Cap
Ketoconazole shampoo is among the best treatment for cradle cap in babies. You should use a mild shampoo with this salt. Using ketoconazole on a regular basis will help to treat cradle cap. There are many brands available in the market, always go with a good brand.
Use Hydrocortisone to treat Cradle Cap in Newborn
The first line of treatment in case of cradle cap, inflammation is observed, is hydrocortisone. Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid basically anti-inflammatory drugs. 1% hydrocortisone creams should be applied in the scalp of the baby twice or thrice a day after washing the scalp with a mild shampoo.
Now hydrocortisone shampoo is available. After applying hydrocortisone creams, wash the baby scalp with hydrocortisone shampoo is best for the cradle cap.
If the cradle cap is of dandruff, then use if antifungal creams or lotions treat the problem. Fluconazole or clotrimazole or ketoconazole are the main active antifungal ingredients.
When topical antifungal creams applied on the baby scalp, they remove out the dandruff patches by treating the fungus. You must have to apply according to prescription. Mild contractions are recommended as 2% antifungal creams.
In very few cases, the cradle cap can get infectious due to bacteria. If you feel any allergic reaction or infection, you must go for antibacterial therapy. Antibacterial creams are available and when applied topically on scalp, treat the infection on cradle cap and may reduce the cradle cap volume.
In some cases of cradle cap, your dermatologist will suggest combined creams. These creams antifungal, antibacterial and steroidal agents are a good option for treating cradle cap in a short period of time.
Dr. Qaisrani Tips for treating Cradle Cap in Newborn Babies
- Avoid harsh treatment like rubbing the scalp, use of concentrated paste, using hard comb brushes, etc.
- Washing the scalp is also a treatment of cradle cap .keep washing the baby scalp twice a day with the best shampoo
- Avoid baby scalp from drying out.
- Don’t use hot oil treatment as it may cause a burning sensation and may worsen the condition
- Avoid scratching the scalp. Scratching the scalp may cause complications like scarring, infection, etc. Keep an eye on your newborn so he may not scratch the scalp. This is a must to treat cradle cap in your newborn baby.
- Don’t make your newborn baby cry. Fulfill his needs as early as possible. Stress is the main trigger in the cradle cap. Do your best to keep your baby free from stress.
- Provide good sleep to your newly born baby. Lack of enough sleep cause stress and hence cause a cradle cap. The sleep of about 12 to 15 hours is essential for the growth of your newborn.
- Nutritional deficiency can also be the root cause of cradle cap. Seborrheic dermatitis or cradle cap may become worse due to nutritional deficiencies. Visit to doctor for consultation and maintenance of nutritional value.
- Be patient, cradle cap may take about 6 months to get completely removed. YOu should properly take care of your newborn baby.